8.2.12

Crochet Ruffle Valentine Wreath-FREE pattern!

It's been a while since I've posted, but I have a good excuse *ahem* reason. I've been working on a ruffle wreath pattern! It was inspired by those gorgeous felt ruffle wreaths. I thought first that I could make a bunch of crocheted circles and pin them on a wreath form. But that would be very time consuming and... at two ends a circle that's a ton of weaving, so I came up with this :)
The basics of this pattern is a crocheted base with two rounds, one made in the back loops only. This creates three available ridges to fill up with beautiful ruffles.
Here goes! Enjoy!




Yarn-Red Heart Super Saver or a worsted weight with some "stiff-ness". Nothing like Simply soft or Bernat satin--It's a little to "limp" If you know what I mean :)

Hook-G

Scissors

Darning needle

Abbreviations:
Ch-Chain
Dc-Double Crochet
Tr-Triple crochet (also called treble crochet)
Dec3-*Yo, draw up a loop in next st, pull trough 2 loops* repeat from *to* a total of three times. Yo, draw through all loops on hook
sts-stitches


Pattern:

Ch 85

Row1: 3dc in 5th chain from hook, 1dc in each of the next 17 chains. *2dc in next, 1dc in next* repeat from *to* 4 times. 2dc in next, 1dc in next 2ch, 2dc in next, 1dc in next, 2dc in next 2ch, 1dc in next 3ch. Dec3, skip 3ch, Dec3. 1dc in each of the next 3ch, 2dc in next 2ch, 1dc in next, 2dc in next, 1dc in next 2, 2dc in next. *1dc in next, 2dc in next* repeat from *to* 4 times. 1dc in each of the next 17 dc. (3dc, 1tr) in last ch. Ch3, join to top of beginning ch4.
Use your tail end (coming from your slip knot) to seam your bottom piece together to form a heart shape. Be careful not to twist your shape when joining.

Row2:~Worked in Back Loops Only~ Ch3, 2dc in next, 1dc in next 19 sts. *2dc in next 2 sts, 1dc in next* Repeat from *to* 4 times. 1dc in next 9 sts. 2dc in next, 1dc in next 4 sts. Skip 2 sts. 1dc in next 4 sts, 2dc in next. 1dc in next 9 sts. *1dc in next, 2dc in next 2* Repeat from *to* 4 times. 1dc in next 19 sts. 2dc in next, 1dc in next, 1dc in front loop of next chain, 3tr in front loop of next chain, 1dc in front loop of next chain, join with sl st to beginning ch 3. Break yarn.
BASE FINISHED

RUFFLES BEGIN

Outside ruffle: ~Worked in Front Loops~ Join yarn in any stitch of Row2. Ch3, 2dc in same st. 3dc in next 2sts. 3dc around post of next dc. *3dc in next 3front loops, 3dc around post of next st.* Repeat from *to* until you get to either the heart point or the heart dip-follow directions accordingly
Heart Point- Continue with pattern, disregarding some stitches are triples.
Now continue with the 3dc in next 3 front loops, 3dc around next dc post pattern until you get to the dip in the heart.
Heart dip- Simple as this: SlSt in space of skiped sts from row2.
Now continue with the 3dc in next 3 front loops, 3dc around next dc post pattern until you get to the heart point.Break yarn

Middle Ruffle: ~Worked in front loops of round 1~ Join yarn in any front loop of Row1. Ch3, 1dc in same space. *2dc in each front loop* Repeat from *to* around.
This row of ruffles isn't imperative, so when you get to the dip and the point, just do your best to get 2dc in each space.Break Yarn

Inner Ruffle: ~Worked in opposite side of beginning chain~ This round is similar to the outer ruffles, except your dc's are worked in the beginning chain, and your posts are worked on the bottom of the dc's of Row 1. Did that make sense? Probably not. Let me explain...
If you look at the first pic, you see the scallops of the ruffles on the outer edge lean outwards. We're trying to make the inner row face inwards. ??? Yeah, that didn't clear it up much further. Let me know in a comment if you have any questions!
Anywho, back to the pattern....
Work your "3dc in next 3 front loops, 3dc around next dc post" pattern all around the inner edge. When you get to the inner point, just SlSt to make it point down. When you get to the inner dip, throw a few triple crochets in there to make it have a bit more 'point'.Break yarn

Weave in ends and *exhale* you're done!

Wow! That was tough to explain! I was going to add a few videos, but blogger isn't cooperating for some reason..... :( Maybe in a day or two. Fingers crossed!

But for now, go try and make yourself a heart! It's really not as confusing as I made it sound! You know how sometimes, something's easier to understand when you just do it? Yeah, that's it here.

Bye for now blogger friends,
Grace Ann

PS-Let me know if you see any mistakes! I had this all scribbled in my crochet journal as I was working, so there may be a couple! I've looked it over a few times and I didn't see anything, but you know how it is!Sorry bout that!

PPS-Oh! And please, please, please don't post this pattern as your own! I spent quite a while on it, and I really wouldn't want to log onto blogger tomorrow and see a million versions of my pattern! You ARE allowed, in fact encouraged, to sell what you make! Just post a link here if it's online so I can see! :)
----------♥----------♥----------♥----------♥-----------♥----------
Edit:

Some people have been having trouble with their stitch counts... if the above version doesn't work out for you, try this one:

Row1: 3dc in 5th chain from hook, 1dc in each of the next 17 chains. 2dc in next, 1dc in next repeat from to 4 times. 2dc in next, 1dc in next 2ch, 2dc in next, 1dc in next, 2dc in next 2ch, 1dc in next 3ch. Dec3, skip 3ch, Dec3. 1dc in each of the next 3ch, 2dc in next 2ch, 1dc in next, 2dc in next, 1dc in next 2, 2dc in next. 1dc in next, 2dc in next repeat from to 4 times. 1dc in each of the next 17 dc. (3dc, 1tr) in last ch. Ch3, join to top of beginning ch4Join with 1st dc instead of chain 4.
Use your tail end (coming from your slip knot) to seam your bottom piece together to form a heart shape. Be careful not to twist your shape when joining.

Row2:~Worked in Back Loops Only~ Ch3, 2dc in next, 1dc in next 19 sts. 2dc in next 2 sts, 1dc in next Repeat from to 4 times. 1dc in next 9 sts. 2dc in next, 1dc in next 3 sts. Skip 2 sts Skipping 3 stitches instead of 2. 1dc in next 3 sts, 2dc in next. 1dc in next 9 sts. 1dc in next, 2dc in next 2 Repeat from to 4 times. 1dc in next 19 sts2dc in next. Working in back loop of ch, 2dc in next ch, ch 1, Tr in next ch, ch 1, 2dc in next ch. Join in top of first dc. Break yarn

Thank you to Amy for writing up this version :)

Edit again:

I made some chainges up there ↑ that may help... just be sure to follow the pattern to the letter. (I just followed my own pattern and it didn't make sense, so I added some things that may help). Those things typed in green are things that have tripped some people up... make sure you take a good look at those :)



I also added a few pics of the backside by itself. Hopefully they'll make things clearer... :)



This is right before I did my first decrease of three... see the chain I still have to work into?
Finished row 1--Note, I DID have to flatten this to get it to lay flat. It's was all curly by itself..
This is my join of row 1 (it's at the very end). Where you chain 3 the join to the chain in the beginning. You can kinda see that I took the end tail and used it to join the two sides of the inner edge together... that made zero sense, even to me...
Finished base :) Nice even heart shape! Yay!
Edit: A lovely reader of mine suggested making the base out of plarn (plastic bag yarn) to make the heart stiff. That way, you don't need to use starch, and the heart still holds it's shape.

23 comments:

  1. Thanks for the pattern! It's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your heart wreath is so pretty. Thanks for sharing your pattern. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is adorable! What did you use to help it keep its shape? Do I need a foam or metal wreath blank or is it stiff enough to stay in the shape all on its own?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the pattern I will be trying soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! I love this pattern :)
    xo,
    wink

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this and I am thinking it might make a great teacher gift. Thanks for sharing! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that's beautiful , thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm working this up and it wants to twist. Did you block yours when you finshed? Mine looks like your it just wants to twist and not stay flat. The pattern is easy to understand. Thanks for another great pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for sharing your nice pattern!
    blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was so excited to try this, but I'm having a really hard time reading the pattern. I keep getting hung up on some of the directions. I just quit and took it all out.
    When something is in asterisks, it's to be repeated, so I got hung up on the *to* wording along with "repeat from *to* a total of four times" does that mean repeat three times for a total of four or repeat four times for a total of five?
    How am I supposed to join the first row? I couldn't figure out the end of the first row and how to connect it correctly. Also, after carefully counting stitches on the second base row, I guess I had a mistake somewhere (that I couldn't find) because I only had 15 stitches left to work with instead of 19+ and then I was totally confused after that, so I just took it out. Obviously I'm missing something because someone else was able to finish it, but this was way more difficult than I thought it was going to be.
    Super, super cute, though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The ruffle wreath heart is so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the pattern! It's on my list of things to make!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kristen--I've posted a new version that one of my readers sent to me, that may help out with your stitch count. :) As for the repeat, yes, you repeat three times for a TOTAL of 4. Also, to join, you slip stitch in the 1st dc then use your tail end to seam up the bottom part. If you lay it out flat at this point, you should have a joined outline of a heart that looks as if it was worked in the round. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have further problems!
    Grace Ann

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, I just made this and of course it doesn't look a fluffy as yours. But how do I keep the shape so when you hang it, it still looks like a heart and doesn't flop around. I used Red Heart super saver yarn. I made this for a silent auction to benefit Congenital Heart Defect research, so I need to make sure it looks beautiful so someone will want to bid on it.
    Thank you for your help!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Would a spray starch work on the back of the heart to keep the shape? I think I will try it. Wish me luck. I will try to figure out how to post a picture when I am done.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I didn't need spray starch and used instead plarn :) or plastic bags...I crocheted the frame with that and then used regular yarn for the ruffles! IT did turn out beautiful! Everyone loves it! Just food for thought :) HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone! :) Be blessed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I never thought of that! I think I'm going to add your comment to my post for others to see, because that is such a genious idea!
      Thanks! And Happy New Year!
      Grace Ann

      Delete
  18. What a great pattern thank you! I have put this down to excel because I was confused about it, so I just matched the one side of the heart to the other, in reverse.
    1
    2
    3
    4
    3 dc 5
    dc 6
    dc 7
    dc 8
    dc 9
    dc 10
    dc 11
    dc 12
    dc 13
    dc 14
    dc 15
    dc 16
    dc 17
    dc 18
    dc 19
    dc 20
    dc 21
    dc 22
    2dc 23
    dc 24
    2dc 25
    dc 26
    2dc 27
    dc 28
    2dc 29
    dc 30
    2dc 31
    dc 32
    dc 33
    2dc 34
    dc 35
    2dc 36
    2dc 37
    dc 38
    dc 39
    dc 40
    dec3 41
    dec3 42
    dec3 43
    skip 44
    skip 45
    skip 46
    dec3 47
    dec3 48
    dec3 49
    dc 50
    dc 51
    dc 52
    2dc 53
    2dc 54
    dc 55
    2dc 56
    dc 57
    dc 58
    dc 59
    2dc 60
    dc 61
    2dc 62
    dc 63
    2dc 64
    dc 65
    2dc 66
    dc 67
    dc 68
    dc 69
    dc 70
    dc 71
    dc 72
    dc 73
    dc 74
    dc 75
    dc 76
    dc 77
    dc 78
    dc 79
    dc 80
    dc 81
    dc 82
    dc 83
    3dc 1tr 84

    ReplyDelete
  19. So pretty! Wreaths really seem to be hot right now, and this one is lovely! I linked to it this morning on moogly : http://www.mooglyblog.com/valentines-day-crochet-patterns/ :) Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am really enjoying this pattern, I've finished all but the last row of ruffles! I think I going to add on some plastic canvas to hold the shape better! Just in time for Valentine's Day! Thanks for sharing this unique pattern!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for this lovely pattern. I made 2, one for each of my daughters. They both really liked them! I ran some wire through some of the stitches on the back to give it some structure. Worked great. Very happy with this pattern.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment! You know what to do!